In order to drive commercial mortgage leads, brokers need to earn the trust of potential borrowers. One of the best ways to demonstrate your experience and capability is content marketing. This form of marketing doesn’t directly promote your company, but rather relies on providing useful information to build trust and understanding between you and your potential borrowers. Once a borrower has determined that you’ve got the expertise to help them, they’re more likely to bring you their business. So, how do you get started with content marketing?
First, you need to determine some good topics for blogs or videos.
- What’s going on in the commercial mortgage industry? Borrowers rely on commercial mortgage brokers to keep up with and understand what’s happening in the industry, so sharing and commenting on mortgage news is a great way to establish your expertise and credibility. You can write blogs or create videos detailing commercial mortgage news and how it could affect borrowers.
- What are some common questions I get from borrowers? One of the best ways to approach content creation is to consider the repeat questions you get from your borrowers. These are questions you’ll be answering many times throughout your career; wouldn’t it be great to have a short blog or video that you could post to social media and your website, and send out to potential borrowers via email?
- What do my borrowers need to know in seeking commercial mortgages? As a broker, you know what to expect when submitting a deal and what is needed to get the process moving. Your borrowers, however, will probably not be as well-versed as you are. This presents you with a great content opportunity. You can create blogs and videos detailing the documentation they’ll need to provide and why, the factors that go into determining things like a borrower’s rate or LTV, and the type of commercial mortgage particular types of borrowers are likely to qualify for.
Then, you need to create it in a way that speaks to your potential borrowers.
- Is this content evergreen? If you’re commenting on a particular piece of industry news, this question is less important. But generally, making sure that your content is evergreen – that is, content that is always relevant to borrowers and won’t get stale over time – is a great way to ensure repeat reads or views. How-to blogs or videos about applying for a commercial mortgage or about what to expect throughout the process are good examples of evergreen content.
- Have I kept my audience in mind? Whenever you’re creating marketing content, you need to be focused on potential borrowers. What information do they need in order to make an informed decision? What are they questions you anticipate them asking? Keeping your audience in mind will allow you to create content that speaks to them and demonstrates your experience as a commercial mortgage broker.
- Is this simple? Your content should be easy for potential borrowers to understand. Try to avoid using a lot of industry jargon, and when you do have to use it, explain it clearly. You’re the commercial mortgage expert, and it’s your job to make sure your borrowers can grasp the information you’re providing in each marketing piece.
Providing borrowers with useful information is a great way to establish your credibility as a commercial mortgage broker. Once borrowers understand that you have the knowledge and experience to help them, they’re more likely to give you their business and recommend you to other business owners and investors. Take the time to create thoughtful, simple content that speaks to commercial mortgage borrowers, and you could soon be seeing more leads and closing more deals.