Commercial and multifamily mortgage originations are expected to decline slightly in 2018, but will remain strong according to the Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA).
MBA projects that these originations will end the year at $519 billion, down just 2% from 2017 levels. MBA expects volumes to remain at the 2018 level in 2019 as well.
“Last year was a record for commercial and multifamily borrowing and lending,” said Jamie Woodwell, MBA’s Vice President of Commercial Real Estate Research. “Lending terms remain extremely attractive and we expect another strong year in 2018, although perhaps not quite as strong as 2017.”
Given the expected strength of the commercial and multifamily mortgage markets, now is a great time for brokers still on the fence to begin closing these loans. The small-balance commercial mortgage niche is a great place for beginners looking to expand their business and increase their income.
If you’re unsure how to get started, APEX can help:
- Learn about the basics of small-balance commercial mortgages, including who needs this type of financing and where to find these deals.
- Check out some tips for beginners about how to approach the small-balance commercial mortgage niche, including learning about the type of lender you’ll want to work with.
- Get to know the industry professionals most likely to refer you deals, like CPAs and realtors, and how to connect with them.
- Learn how to generate the leads that will allow you to keep your pipeline strong and to close more small-balance commercial mortgages.
- Develop an understanding of how to market your services in a way that allows you to build relationships with both commercial mortgage borrowers and referral sources.